Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Carded If The Card Is Discarded

| Right | June 30, 2014

(Per company policy, if a customer wants to pay with a card they need to have it with them. We can’t authorize them over the phone unless it is a credit card issued by our company. There are occasional exceptions, but really only for regulars. We are also always supposed to check an id. A woman came in to buy a bunch of supplies for her office. As she’s at the register to pay. She pulls out a piece of paper.)

Customer: “I’d like to pay with this.”

(The paper she pulls out is a photocopy of a company credit card.)

Cashier: “Uhm… we can’t take this.”

Customer: “Why not?!”

Cashier: “Because we need the physical card.”

Customer: “Get a manager!”

Manager: “Can I see an id?”

Customer: “Why? My name won’t match. It’s a company card.”

Manager: “Then, I’m sorry but we can’t accept it. I really shouldn’t do it, even if the names did match. It’s against policy.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous! How can you not take it!? Why do you even need to see my ID?”

Manager: “Ma’am, there is way too much risk for identity fraud. I have no way of knowing that’s your card, or company. Anyone could have taken that card and made a copy, or found the copy lying around somewhere.”

Customer: “Are you accusing me of stealing this card information!?”

Manager: “Of course not! But wouldn’t you rather have stores check ids and only accept physical cards if yours was the one that was stolen?”

Customer: “This is ridiculous! It’s our company card! And accusing me of stealing?! I’m never shopping here again! You’re losing so much business!”

Manager: “Well, it’s better than getting in trouble for a fraudulent charge. Sorry we couldn’t help you.”

(The customer stormed out in a huff.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!