Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t Train You Over The Sound Of Your Ovaries

, , , , , , , | Learning | February 21, 2023

Way back in the late 1970s, I was in junior high school, and I started hanging out at the career center, which was open during lunchtime and had a great counselor. It also had a brand-new device called a computer, where you called a phone number and placed the handset onto a modem which was plugged into the computer, and then you typed on a keyboard and waited for the response on the printer. (Yep, a dot matrix printer — there was no monitor.) I was familiar with them due to my dad’s work, so I was interested to try this one out.

In order to use it, you had to pass a written test. The test was short and easy but impossible to pass without being trained. (One of the questions was “What is the password?”) You got trained by fellow students, and I noticed that the group that hung out around the computer always helped out anyone who asked.

Well, almost anyone. You see, all the users were boys, and I was not. When I asked, they were too busy — but they jumped to train the next boy who came along. I tried several times, but nothing worked. And it was impossible to pass that test without their help. I vented about this to the career counselor. I’m not sure why the help had to come from students, but it did; she didn’t have the information to help me.

Soon after that, before I could come up with the next step to try, the vice principal showed up.

Vice Principal: “Okay, I’m shutting the computer down.”

The boys reacted with shock and complaints.

Vice Principal: “As soon as [My Name] passes the test, I’ll let you back on it.”

What do you know, I passed that test the very next day. And if you were a computer user back in those days, you’ll understand when I tell you it was the start of a great Adventure.

Related:
Can’t Hear You Over The Sound Of Your Ovaries, Part 26
Can’t Hear You Over The Sound Of Your Ovaries, Part 25
Can’t Hear You Over The Sound Of Your Ovaries, Part 24
Can’t Hear You Over The Sound Of Your Ovaries, Part 23
Can’t Hear You Over The Sound Of Your Ovaries, Part 22

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!