Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t Stand To Just Stand Around

| Working | June 17, 2013

(My boyfriend works for a factory that assembles farming machines. They’re near bankruptcy and don’t get a lot of orders anymore. One day, my boyfriend goes to the office.)

My Boyfriend: “It’s been weeks—no, months—since I’ve had anything real to do. God forbid if I can tighten a screw once in half an hour. Can you please give me something to do?”

Supervisor: “What? You got your own job to do, right? Why don’t you do it?”

My Boyfriend: “No, if I had something to do I wasn’t complaining. No orders are coming in, no machines are being made, so I’m just standing there.”

Supervisor: “So go on, stand there!”

My Boyfriend: “Can’t I help out at another hall? Or let me to cafeteria duty? Or heck, let me please clean the toilets with a toothbrush! Just give me something to do!”

Supervisor: “No, you can’t leave your station. You’re supposed to stand there, and that’s it.”

My Boyfriend: “So, all I get to do is stand at my station?”

Supervisor: “Yes!”

My Boyfriend: “While there is absolutely no work to be done there?”

Supervisor: “Yes!”

My Boyfriend: “Can I at least sweep the hall or something?”

Supervisor: “No, that’s not your job. You are supposed to stay at your station, like I told you!”

My Boyfriend: “So… all I get do to is stand, breathe, and do nothing, for six hours straight?”

Supervisor: “Yes!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!