Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t Play That Card With Me

| Right | December 11, 2014

Customer #1: *not even looking at me* “Turn on pump number four.”

(The customer starts to walk out but I call after her.)

Me: *smiling politely* “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I can’t do that. You have to prepay for gas or leave a deposit.”

Customer #1: *holding out debit card* “I’d like to prepay for $40 in gas, then.”

Me: *still smiling* “I’m sorry, ma’am, but our system is a bit outdated so I can’t prepay fuel with a debit or credit card. However, if you’d like, you can pay with cash or I can hold your card and—”

Customer #1: *snottily* “I’m not giving you my card! You’ll steal my information! Just turn the damned pump on! Jesus, you’re f****** stupid! You’re the only person here who won’t turn on the god-d*** pump for me!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, if I’m the only person who won’t turn the pump on for you, then I’m the only cashier here who is doing her job properly. And you can just leave. Now. You have your nasty attitude to thank for that.”

(She stares at me, seemingly at a loss for words, but she doesn’t leave so I expect her to make a scene as soon as she can speak again. But before she can open her mouth, another customer, who heard the whole exchange, walks up to the counter and speaks to the woman.)

Customer #2: “I know it’s not any of my business but do you ever go to nice, sit-down restaurants?”

Customer #1: *scoffs* “Why, of course I do!”

Customer #2: “So what’s the difference in a waiter or waitress taking your card and walking off with it and you leaving it here with this young lady? Are you trying to say that just because she works at a convenience store that she’s a thief? Or that maybe restaurants have higher standards for employee? Trust me, lady, if that’s your logic, it’s very, very flawed.”

(The woman opens and closes her mouth several times but obviously can’t come up with a good argument because she turns around and storms out of the store.)

Customer #2: *smiles* “That felt really good.”


This story is part of our Flawed Customer Logic roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!