Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t PIN Down Why They’re Not Listening

, , , , | Right | January 31, 2022

Our store has electronic PIN pads for taking cards and signatures. Recently, the PIN pad at the main register has been messing up on the signature screen. I suspect someone jabbed it very hard and now there’s a “dead” spot. At first, it throws people off and they constantly question what was going on. My coworker has started saying the following with success.

Coworker: “If I could just get your signature on the PIN pad. It stops writing in the middle but if you’ll just keep going, it’ll be fine.”

The customers listen, nod, and don’t mind the finicky PIN pad. They go on their way. I hear this and try it since it’s working for her.

Me: “It’s going to ask for your signature on the PIN pad. It stops writing in the middle, but just keep writing, and it’ll be okay.”

The customer doesn’t look up or acknowledge what I said. Instead, they repeatedly try to write on the “dead” section of the line, pushing harder and harder or even jabbing at it.

Customer: “Why is this not writing? Why is it doing that?”

Me: *Deadpan* “It’s broken because someone jabbed the pen on the pad too hard.”

They stop, look at me and then at the machine, and finally push “accept”. 

Customer: *Sheepishly* “Oh, yeah, that would make sense. Sorry.”

I turn to my coworker.

Me: “Why does it work when you say it but not when I say it?!”

She just shrugged and laughed. Sometimes I wonder if I’m really speaking English.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!