Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting Owned By The Owner, Part 6

, , , | Working | February 24, 2014

(I’m a young female business owner who does custom knives. As each and every one of my knives is handcrafted and designed by me, I only have a small shop with two helpers: my best friend and her boyfriend. We are all working on a special project for a client when a girl about college age comes in wearing six-inch heels and a mini skirt in the middle of winter. This is odd because most clients set up appointments or place an order on my site to buy a knife or have one custom made. She is texting on her cellphone the whole time.)

Girl: *without looking up, throws papers at my friend* “Yeah. Here’s my resume. I need a job here.”

Friend: “Thank you, but I can tell you now that we aren’t hiring.”

Girl: *still without looking up* “Do I look like I care if you’re not hiring? No. Get me the job anyway. It’s not like I’m gonna do actual work. I’m just here because my dad says I need to get a job.”

Friend: *shocked at the bluntness* “Well, I don’t know of anyone that would hire a person who doesn’t plan on working. Add that with the fact that we don’t even need help and you’re not getting a job.”

(The girl finally looks up and puts on a mean face. My friend notices me out of the corner of her eye, laughing my head off silently. My friend gives me a glare and I finally get a hold of myself and go into boss mode. I’m about to go to the front when the girl starts talking.)

Girl: “I know the owner, and he said that you guys would give me the job. If you don’t I’m going to tell him how rude you guys were!”

(I start laughing again, finally get a hold of myself, and go to the front.)

Me: “Is there a problem?”

Girl: *still texting* “YES. This employee won’t give me a job. Maybe you won’t be so stupid as I know the owner!”

Me: “Oh, really?”

Girl: *still texting* “That’s right! The owner won’t be pleased when I tell him that he has such a bad employee!”

Me: “You know the owner? How is it that I don’t believe you?”

Girl: “OH. MY. GOD. Why are all his employees soooo stupid?! I’ll be back with my DADDY!”

(She storms out fast, breaking her heel in the process. She spits onto the window and screams at us about the broken heel. We don’t think much of it after that until she comes back with a big burly man.)

Man: “My daughter tells me that you did not give her a job even after she let you know that we know the owner! The owner will not be pleased!”

(The girl is behind her dad. She has her arms crossed and a smug look on her face.)

Me: “Wow. The owner doesn’t seem to have great friends, huh?”

Man: “I will have you fired!”

Me: “Look. Why don’t we settle this now? There is the owner’s number on the wall. If you call the owner and you can tell me that he said he wants her hired, then I will.”

Man: *gets a smug look on his face* “I WILL.”

(He takes out his phone and the girl mouths at us ‘you guys are sooo in trouble!’ He dials a number then starts talking as if he is talking to someone.)

Me: “EXCUSE ME. I know you’re not talking on the phone.”

Man: “How dare you! I’ll have you know—”

Me: “I know for a fact that you are not calling the owner because if you were, my phone would be ringing.”

Man: “LYING B****! I know for a fact you’re just saying that! I know the owner! Plus you are way too young to own a business and you’re a girl! Quit lying before I have the owner sue you!”

Me: “If you were smart you would notice right next to the number that there is a picture of the owner and the two employees. First of all, I don’t see a man in the owner’s position, but a picture of me. Also, if you would notice my name tag I have on, it says ‘owner’ and has the same name as the sign outside. So, you are talking to the owner. Would you please leave or do I have to have you escorted out by police, as you are causing a disturbance in MY shop?”

(The man and girl got very red in the face and left as fast as they can. We haven’t heard from them since.)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!