Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t Handle This Customer’s Vanity

, , , , , | Right | June 20, 2018

(I work in a home improvement center. Sometimes we are able to sell discontinued items off the floor. This item is a very expensive vanity that has been discontinued for several years.)

Customer: “I like this vanity a lot. How much does this one cost?”

Me: “Luckily, that one is discontinued! It’s the last of its kind. The discounted price is $500.00. It used to list in the thousands.”

Customer: “That’s not a bad deal. I’ll take it.”

Me: “Wonderful! Follow me and I’ll write that up for you. Since it’s discontinued, you can take it home off the floor today. We offer delivery, as well. I was pretty sad when they stopped making that item.”

Customer: “I can see why. It’s beautiful. I need two.”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry. It’s discontinued. The only one left is this one here.”

Customer: “Oh, well, just write me up for two of them. That would be $1,000, right?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t do that. This is the last one. It has been for a long time, since the company stopped making that item. It’s not possible to get a second one.”

Customer: “Oh, whatever. I know that is just a marketing ploy to make people think they are getting a deal.”

Me: “It’s really not a ploy. Items with the stickers on them in the store are no longer being made. They are usually the last ones we have and will be able to get.”

Customer: “Listen, sweetie, just type up my order. Don’t make me talk to your boss.”

Me: “I would be very happy to have my boss explain this, also. I can show you the product list from this manufacture, and this vanity set will not be listed. It is on one from 2012. They stopped making it after that year.”

Customer: “Look, I’m being patient. Now you are wasting my time.”

Me: “I’m sorry that you feel that way, but there is nothing I can do about this situation. It is not possible to get another vanity like this one, unless you have one custom made to match.”

Customer: “Fine. I’ll take my business elsewhere. You just lost your store $1,000! I’ll take the vanity information to [Competitor].”

Me: “You are free to shop where you wish; however, that store has never carried this brand and will not be able to get a discontinued item.”

Customer: “We will see about that!”

(A little while later, I got a call from the other store asking if we had any of these vanities, since they don’t carry that brand and didn’t know it was discontinued. I feel bad for the salesperson who had to deal with the fallout over there.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!