Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t Handle The Screening Process, Part 2

, , , | Right | November 30, 2010

(I teach college computer courses part-time. I am introducing my students, who are 18-60 or so, to Windows and a GUI for the first time.)

Me: “Okay, everyone use your mouse to point at the icon and double-click on it. Once in the program, go ahead with the exercise.”

(A student raises a hand.)

Me: “Something not working?”

Student: “The mouse doesn’t seem to work. I point at the icon and double-click and nothing happens.”

Me: “That’s strange. Try it right now and let’s see what happens.”

(The student grabs the mouse, picks it up off the desk and points it at the icon like a gun and double clicks.)

Student: “See? Isn’t that little arrow supposed to follow too? Anyway, it’s broken, doesn’t work.”

Me: “Ah, well, see you actually use the mouse here on the mouse-pad like this.” *I demonstrate*

Student: “Oh, my, I get it now!” *grabs the mouse and successfully launches the program*

(A few minutes go by as the students are working on the exercise, the same student raises a hand.)

Me: “Getting along with the exercise okay?”

Student: “I was, but now I need a bigger mousepad.”

Me: “Why would that be?”

Student: “Well, look at it. I have the mouse all the way to the right side of the mousepad, but I need to make the arrow go even further to the right on the screen. I need a bigger mousepad.”

Me: “Well, you can pick the mouse up–”

Student: “You told me not to do that.”

Me: “Right, but in this case–”

Student: “You’re confusing me.”

Me: “Let me see if we have a bigger mousepad…”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!