Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can’t Get Any Relief

| Working | September 21, 2013

(I am just about to ask to use the restroom of the store. I already know that you have to ask the cashier for the key. I see another woman with the key, go into the ladies’ room. I wait outside for her to finish, so I can get the key from her. There is no way to lock the bathroom from the inside, so that someone with a key can gain access even if someone is already in the ladies’ room.)

Me: “Hi. I was just about to ask for the key when I saw you go in. I would like to use the bathroom so if you could give me the key—”

Customer: “You don’t need the key. The door is now open so you can go in.”

Me: “Yes, I see that. But if you give the key back to the cashier and someone else asks for it, that person can get in the bathroom while I’m using it.”

Customer: “I told you that you don’t need the key. You only need the key to get in and I’m holding the door open for you.”

Me: “I understand that. But, see, if you give the key to the cashier and she thinks I’m done and gives it to someone else, that person can open the door.”

Customer: “You don’t need the key!”

Me: “Yes, I need the key to prevent anyone else from getting in the bathroom while I’m in there.”

Customer: “No, you can’t have the key. I’m giving it to the cashier.”

(Rather than walk to the front of the store to wait for her to give the key to the cashier, I rush into the bathroom, hoping I can finish before anyone else can get the key. Luckily, I am able to finish. When I emerge, I see the customer talking to one of the cashiers. They stop talking and I approach the cashier.)

Me: “Do you know that customer?”

Cashier: “She actually works here.”

Me: “I don’t understand why she wouldn’t give me the key after she finished in the bathroom so I could use the bathroom.”

Cashier: “Uh, yeah, because we wouldn’t know you were in there and we could have given the key to someone else.”

Me: “At least someone gets it!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!