Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can I Show You My Social Insecurity Card

, , , , | Right | February 1, 2012

(A customer is about to buy an M-rated game, which can only be purchased by people over the age of 17. My store is really strict about checking ID.)

Me: “And may I see some ID, please?”

Customer: “Why? What for?”

Me: “Because this is an M-rated game, and I am required to ask for ID.”

Customer: “Buddy, I’m 31, and it shows. You don’t need to see my ID.”

Me: “Sorry, sir, but I do need to see your ID. Otherwise, I risk my job and the store risks a fine.”

Customer: “Are you kidding me? Normally, when people ask me for ID, it’s a compliment, but coming from you, you just sound like a bureaucratic snot! Don’t waste my time, and just sell me the d*** game!”

(Another customer standing behind him taps him on the shoulder.)

Customer #2: “Hey, you said you’re 31, right?”

Customer: “Yeah! And this little punk is giving me a hard time about it!”

Customer #2: “How old is your kid? You may be 31, but you seem a little too young to be the father of a 17-year old, which this game is intended for.”

Customer: “What are you talking about? I don’t have any kids. This game is for me!”

Customer #2: *incredulously* “You’re 31 and still play video games?!”

(The 31-year-old customer turns red and leaves the store in a huff. Since he’s gone, I go on to serve the next customer.)

Customer #2: “I’m actually older than he is and I play games, too. Since he was adamant about not showing his ID, I figured he had insecurities. I thought it would be fun to mess with him a little, and boy was I right!”


This story is included in our Videogame Store roundup.

Click here to go to the next story!

Click here to go to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!