Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Came Out But Mum Went Way Out

, , , | Related | August 3, 2017

(I am a fraternal twin. I am a girl, and my brother is a boy. This shouldn’t be important, but for my family, it is. Over the past year or so I have been slowly realising that I am trans and want to start transitioning. My brother already knows, and often calls me by my chosen name in private, and even makes this big deal about changing my name in his phone and sending me screenshots of before and after, all in the middle of a school lesson. I decide to tell my parents. I tell my dad before he goes offshore for work, with the promise that he won’t tell mum. He is fine with it and is happy for me. A week later I tell my mum.)

Me: “Mum, I’ve got something important to tell you. I’m trans, a man, and I want—”

Mum: “Oh, I know.”

Me: “I thought you might. Anyway, I want to start—”

Mum: “I mean, there had to be some reason I gave birth to a SON and DAUGHTER.”

Me: “…right.”

(Bearing in mind my mum is also a fraternal twin, boy and girl, this doesn’t make much sense, and starts to make me wonder if she believes her brother is secretly trans.)

Me: “Anyway, I want to start transitioning.”

Mum: “Oh, of course! Now, names!”

Me: “Yeah, I’ve already chosen—”

Mum: “I think Kris!”

Me: “You want me to have the same name at my brother?”

Mum: “No! Not Chris! Kris! Like Kris Jenner!”

(I suppose in terms of good to bad reactions, it was pretty good, but she’s gone completely insane. She continually calls me Kris, despite repeated attempts for her to accept the name I have chosen, which is really confusing my brother. She has also arranged a family “outing” for me and made an extra special effort to invite her brother, literally letting him pick the day. I’m hoping she doesn’t do anything stupid, but I know in my heart she will.)


This story is part of the Even-More-Transgender-Stories-themed roundup!

Read the next Even-More-Transgender-Stories-themed roundup story!

Read the Even-More-Transgender-Stories-themed roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!