Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Calling For Their Benefit, Not Yours

, , , | Working | September 11, 2015

(I work for a Seattle-based subsidiary of a multinational media company headquartered in New York. I have had some trouble with getting my insurance set up, so I emailed the benefits department the previous day. There is a three-hour time difference between Seattle and New York; at 7 am (an hour before I normally wake up), the phone rings.)

Me: *blearily* “Hello?”

Representative: “Hi, this is [Name] from the [Company] benefits office. I am just calling to let you know that the issue has been cleared up and you’ll be able to enroll on Friday.”

Me: “Okay, thanks…”

Representative: *rattles on for about five minutes repeating all of the stuff I already know, including how to enroll, what my coverage choices are, and who to contact if there are any problems*

Me: “Okay, thanks…”

Representative: “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Me: “…Um, no, thank you.”

Representative: “Okay, then, thank you for calling the benefits office of [Company]!”

Me: “Uh, you called me—”

Representative: *click*

(Then I got up and saw that I’d received an email with the exact same information, which I could have read at any time after I woke up.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!