Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Calling A Front Desk, Not THE Front Desk

, , , , | Right | July 16, 2021

I work in a hotel as a front desk rep. I used to do the morning shift but started doing the overnights more. The hotel I work at is located right next to a mall, as well as several restaurants, and is really close to the main highway. It’s usually very busy.

Every single day, I get calls from guests and also non-guests asking about OTHER businesses. And I don’t mean just restaurants or shops close by, but for other hotels. Normally, they just ask for directions or what restaurants have on their menus. I usually just Google the information, but after a while, I begin to memorize some things because of how frequently it happens.

However, with the health crisis hitting us, many businesses have either closed or reduced their hours and menus, and I don’t have them all memorized anymore. As restrictions begin to lift, the businesses begin to change hours and many restaurants begin to offer their regular menus.

One night, I get a call from someone who I assume is a guest of ours. The speaker on the other end says that they want to know the business hours of a restaurant across the street from us. I Google the information and relay the hours as well as the menu for the speaker.

Caller: “Do they do delivery?”

Me: “Well, their website says they use [Delivery Service], but since they’re closing in thirty minutes, I don’t know if they’ll still do any delivery orders. You can definitely call and ask.”

Caller: “Well, I was hoping you’d know.”

Me: “Unfortunately, I only know whatever Google tells me. I’ve never ordered from them before, and I know a lot of businesses do deliveries differently. I would recommend calling them and asking if they could deliver at this time. But it is right across the street from us.”

Caller: “I see. Well, I’m not really in a position to go and pick it up myself.”

This does puzzle me a bit, since it is literally across the street and an easy five-minute walk. But, I figure maybe they already showered and are in bed, or they have kids and don’t want to take them with or leave them behind. It’s not really my business, but I don’t know how to help them with that.

Me: “Okay, I’m sorry I can’t help you any further. I suggest calling them directly and confirming their deliveries.”

Caller: “Well, that’s just ridiculous that you don’t know, and that you had to use Google in the first place. Do they not deliver to your hotel?”

Me: “I dunno, probably. But most times, guests just go across the street themselves and get it.”

Caller: “Well, I’m not staying at your hotel; I’m actually at a different hotel.”

Me: “T-then why did you call and ask me? Surely your hotel desk could’ve helped. Or why didn’t you call the business instead?”

Caller: “I once stayed at your location and really liked that restaurant, but you didn’t have any rooms open, so I had to go to a different hotel.”

Me: “I see. Well, I’m glad you found something you like, but I really do suggest you call the restaurant. They’re closing in twenty minutes.”

Reluctantly, they hung up with me and I just stared at the phone in amazement. Sure, I get when stranded travelers come in and ask for help or even just random people off the street ask for directions because “you work close by to where I need to go” but still, I’ve never had something like that happen before.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!