Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Brother Bother

, | Friendly | May 14, 2017

(I am a manager at a fast food chicken place. My brother is also a team member at the same restaurant. We wear distinctively different uniforms so that customers know who the managers are. A little backstory: My brother’s best friend died suddenly when they were 18. This event happens on the one-year anniversary of his best friend’s death. My brother is working the shift after me.)

Me: “[Brother]! I haven’t seen you in a while. I know today is really hard for you, but you know I love you and you can get through it.”

Brother: “Thanks. Love ya, too.”

(I give my brother a hug while standing in front of the counter where customers come up to order.)

Me: “Okay, I’m going to finish eating and go home, but have a good shift.”

Brother: “Yeah, see ya.”

(I went to sit back down in the dining room to finish my dinner when a customer walks up to my table. This isn’t unusual, as a lot of customers recognize my shirt as being a manager uniform and have questions or comments, etc.)

Customer: “Excuse me, but what you just did was extremely inappropriate.”

Me: “I’m sorry, what?”

Customer: “I don’t care if you have relationships with your coworkers but you shouldn’t show affection to each other while working. Especially since you are a manager and he isn’t. It’s just highly inappropriate that you would fraternize with someone you are in charge of.”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry that this has offended you but that’s my brother. It’s the anniversary of his best friend’s death and I was telling him I was sorry and expressing that I know it’s hard for him.”

Customer: *goes bright red and mumbles a little* “Well, you still should not do that in front of customers. It’s inappropriate to hug.”

Me:. “…”

(The customer walked out and I went up and told my brother that apparently we were being inappropriate. He laughed which was good because he needed some comic relief on that day.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!