Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Brain Is Not In The Fast Lane

, , , , , | Right | March 27, 2018

(At my store, there is a one-lane, paved area for loading and unload. It leads from the main street and into the parking lot. It is meant for our trucks to drop off product, but many people use it, despite the sign that clearly states “DO NOT ENTER” on both sides. Today, we are receiving many different trucks, and this is the wonderful customer I get. A woman walks up to my register, clearly upset. There are no other customers around.)

Me: “How can I help you today?”

Customer: “You need to tell the drink truck to move! He is blocking the side entrance!”

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am, but we cannot ask him to move. He is unloading our products that we need for the store.”

(We have two other entrances and exits.)

Customer: “You have to tell him to move! That’s not fair that he can just sit there and block the lane!”

Me: “Ma’am, that is actually our loading dock, specifically made for trucks to unload. Also, there is a ‘DO NOT ENTER’ sign because it is not meant for customers to drive through.”

Customer: “EXACTLY! There is a ‘DO NOT ENTER’ sign! So, you need to have him move.”

(I am losing my patience.)

Me: “Ma’am, that sign is for you, the customer, not for our trucks.”

Customer: “No, it is not! It means he is not supposed to park there! I demand you tell him to move his truck!”

Me: “I am not going to do that. It is meant for unloading, not for customers like you to drive in. There is a sign that clearly states ‘DO NOT ENTER,’ and it is one lane. It is to prevent a head-on collision. If someone from the main street drives in and someone from the parking lot drives out, there would be no room for the cars to pass. That would cause a hazard, which is why it is not meant for customers!”

Customer: “That is just stupid! Why would someone go in when I am coming out?! I use it all the time!”

Me: “Do you ever drive in from the main street using that lane?”

Customer: “Yes, all the time!”

Me: “Do you ever drive out of the parking lot using that lane?”

Customer: “Yes!”

Me: “Is it big enough to fit two cars?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “So, do you see why it would be a problem for customers to be using that lane? Especially on days when we have trucks parked there?”

Customer: *pause* “You should tell him to move!”

(She stormed out, never to be seen again. And no, we did not ask the truck to move!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!