Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Brace(let) Yourselves For An Angry Ending

, , , , , | Right Working | February 5, 2019

(On my first day working at a well-known department store, I am put on the floor with another coworker for training. It is a very slow day and my coworker is telling me about how the managers will do anything to make their customers happy, even if it means breaking a policy. As we were talking, an older woman comes up to us and glares at us.)

Customer: “I have a return. I am unsatisfied with this purchase and will be contacting the BBB.”

Coworker: “I am sorry to hear that, but I will be happy to assist you.”

(The woman literally takes the bracelet she is wearing off her arm and throws it on the counter. My coworker looks at the bracelet and back at her.)

Coworker: “Ma’am, you just took that bracelet off your arm with no price tag on it, and we don’t sell that brand.”

Customer: “I don’t care. Just do your job and give me my money back.”

Coworker: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but there is no price tag on the bracelet, you obviously have no receipt, and we don’t even sell [Brand], so there is no way you could’ve bought it here. I cannot process this return.”

Customer: “You will do the return. I don’t care if I bought it here or not; just give me my money or I will tell everyone I know that your company is made up of nothing but thieves.”

Coworker: “I’m sorry, I cannot accept this return.”

Customer: *screaming at the top of her voice* “Get me your manager now!”

(My coworker sighs and picks up the phone to call my manager on duty. He comes down to the register and my coworker explains the situation. He picks up the bracelet and examines it. Then, to my shock, he goes into the register, finds a bracelet that is similar to the one the woman tried returning, and prints out a slip and hands it to my coworker.)

Manager: “Ring it up under this barcode and process the return. How did you pay for the bracelet, ma’am?”

Customer: *very smugly* “Cash.”

(My coworker processes the return and to my surprise, when it comes to choosing the type of refund, my manager hits the cash option.)

Manager: “Your refund total is $80.95. I am so sorry for the inconvenience, ma’am, and I hope you shop with us again soon.”

Customer: *excitedly* “$80.95? I only paid $15 dollars for it!”

(The customer and my manager left, and I turned to my coworker, who was just as appalled as I was.)

Me: “Did he really just gave her that much money back for an item she didn’t even buy here?”

Coworker: *sighs* “Welcome to [Department Store]!”

(I ended up quitting that day.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!