Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Brace(let) Yourself For Customer Service

| Working | April 11, 2017

(I used to work at an internationally known jewellery store during the holidays. I was hired exactly when I turned 18 and was by far the youngest person there. I only left because I was on a seasonal contract but kept good relations with everyone working there and occasionally stop by. I stop by the store to buy my mother a bracelet for her birthday. I see someone working there who I have never met.)

Me: “Hi, I’m looking for—”

Salesperson: *stops talking to coworkers who know me* “Washroom is around the corner.”

Me: “Excuse me? I’m here to buy a bracelet.”

Salesperson: *looks me up and down* “The cheapest thing we have is $79.”

Me: “Well—”

Salesperson: “Look, either buy something or get out. We don’t need any more teenagers stealing from us.”

(I see some of the salespeople who know me about to speak up but I hold my hand out to stop them.)

Me: “Can I talk to your manager?”

Salesperson: “She’s out right now.”

Me: “That’s fine. I’ll just call her.” *I get out my phone and search for the manager in my contacts* “This is her, right?” *shows the salesperson my screen*

Salesperson: “But— What?”

Me: “Oh, you didn’t know I used to work here? You know, I think it’d be easier for me to steal things when I still had access to the back room.”

Salesperson: “But—”

Me: “It’s okay; I’ll just call [Manager] and tell her–” *reads salesperson’s nametag* “–needs a refresher on customer service. See you later!”

(I did call the manager and, according to the salespeople who know me, she had to go through retraining and wasn’t rehired when her yearly contracted ended in February.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!