Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bowling For Soup And Striking Out

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: No_Safety8877 | December 15, 2021

I am a general manager at a fast-casual sandwich place that also serves soup, pizza, and pasta. I am only twenty-four and have somehow gotten the general manager job.

We’re in a small town, and a lot of people know the owner. He has five [Sandwich Shop]s in the area, but one is his pride and joy. I’m still not sure why, but this one has the brand-new oven with four different conveyor belts that you can change speeds on if you need to do catering or something, while my store has two conveyors, one of which is broken half the time. They are given the nice soup bowls that are normal glassware for people who want to eat in store, as well as a couple of other things that just make life easier for them.

One of my employees comes over.

Employee: “I have a customer who’s very unhappy that she was given a to-go soup bowl when she told us she was eating here. I tried to explain to her that we have only been given to-go bowls, but she wasn’t having it. She started belittling me and then demanded to see a manager.”

The owner is one of those guys who act like anyone except for the general manager and assistant general manager are idiots. He evens call them “the hourlies” which I also think is weird. So, unfortunately, I can’t just go up and tell this lady off; I have to talk to her until she gets testy with me.

Me: “Hello, ma’am. I’m the general manager. What seems to be the matter?”

At first, she starts laughing.

Customer: *To her friend* “Look! The idiot employee went and got a friend so won’t get in trouble for lying.” *To me* “I want a manager, not some idiot—”

But then, she stops when she sees my name tag. She goes into this rant.

Customer: “Your employee lied to us about not having bowls! You probably just haven’t washed them because you’re all lazy!”

Me: “We don’t have regular bowls, ma’am. Our owner hasn’t given us any.”

That doesn’t go over well.

Customer: “I go to [Other Location] all the time, and I know it’s the same owner! I know you’re lying!”

She starts getting snippy with me, cutting me off when I try to say anything. Eventually, I am able to cut in.

Me: “Ma’am, the owner only gave bowls to that particular store and has not given them to any other store. If you want a real bowl, you’ll have to go there.”

Customer: “I know the owner, and he wouldn’t do that! You’re just lying because you’re an idiot. You only work here because you’re a loser. If you were intelligent and knew what was good for you, you’d go get me the right bowl!”

Finally, I have had enough.

Me: “If you know the owner, then you should tell them that we need those bowls to avoid dealing with people like you. I have put up with your disrespect enough. You need to leave. And you won’t have to worry about our bowls anymore because I will not serve you anymore. You can go to the other store from now on.”

She is stunned. She turns to a gentleman right next to her.

Customer: “Can you believe today’s youth? They are so disrespectful and need to be put in their place!”

The guy looks her dead in the eye.

Guy: “This manager put up with more than I would have. You’re the one who needs to be put in your place.”

She stormed out, threatening to get me fired, and I gave that guy a coupon for a free meal.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!