Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Both In Line And Out Of Line

, , , , | Right | March 10, 2021

I’m a cashier. It is five minutes before my shift ends, and, as is protocol since I’m a minor, my monitor comes and puts the chain up that indicates my lane is closed and I turn my light out. I thought I had gotten everybody in the line checked out, but this old lady seems to think differently.

I am getting ready to leave.

Old Lady:Excuse me!”

Me: “Oh, hi! Can I help you?”

Old Lady: “You can check me out!”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Old Lady: “I was in this line; I was just talking to the people in the other line! Let me through!”

She was right about that, somewhat. She had moved into the other line so much to talk that neither I nor my monitor saw her.

Me: “Sorry about that, ma’am, but I can’t help you now. My lane is closed and—”

Old Lady: “No! Cash me out!”

Me: “Ma’am, I cannot cash you out, I apologize. Our other cashiers—”

Old Lady:I was in this line!

She tries to push her cart under my chain and duck under it. At this point, she’s scaring me, so I page for my manager. This happens while I’m waiting.

Me: “Ma’am! I physically cannot help you! I am closed.”

Old Lady: *Gives me a disgusted look* “You will! I was just over there talking to them!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t help you.”

At this point, my monitor comes over, only to see this:

Me: “One of our other cashiers will be able to help you tonight.”

Old Lady: “NO EXCUSES!” *Storms off*

Monitor: “…”

Me: “…”

Monitor: “Listen. Don’t worry about it. If that’s the worst that’s happened to her today, she’s got it pretty good.”

Me: *Wheezes* “Thanks.”

Monitor: “Yeah, sure. Just call me over earlier next time. I’ll really give her something to worry about!”

My monitor meant it as a joke, and it worked. I felt better for the rest of the night. I haven’t seen the crazy lady since.

Related:
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 16
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 15
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 14
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 13
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 12

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!