Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bonus Payments And Broken Promises

, , , | Right | January 29, 2023

Client: “Yeah, we decided not to pay you that bonus after all.”

Me: “What? We agreed that I would work at this rate, and I did the work as requested. Was there any problem with the work I did during the holiday break?”

Client: “No, we just don’t want to pay the extra money.”

Me: “You can’t do that. You can’t agree to work terms and then change those terms after the work is completed.”

Client: “Yeah, but we didn’t sign a contract or anything.”

Me: “That doesn’t matter. We had a verbal understanding, and I have a chain of emails from you agreeing to the bonus. Plus, I helped you out when you needed it, and I’ve been a reliable freelancer here for two years without any problems. You should honor our agreement for that reason, at the very least. If you don’t, I’ll be forced to sue you.”

Client: “Fine, whatever! I’ll have payroll cut you another check. I mean, it’s not like it’s my money anyway.”

Me: “Which is why I don’t understand why you were trying to cheat me out of it.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!