Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Blowing Smoke At The Hot Air

| Working | June 25, 2015

(I occasionally smoke, which is well-known to my coworkers.)

Coworker: *on the phone* “I’m having some trouble with my analysis. Do you think you can take a look at it?”

Me: “Sure, send me your analysis and I’ll check it.”

Coworker: “But I can only trust you to check it if you haven’t smoked today. Have you smoked today?”

Me: “Tobacco use hardly makes me less capable of checking your work, but I guess if it’s that important to you, no, I haven’t smoked today.”

Coworker: “And you promise not to smoke before my deadline? So that I can trust your checks on my program?”

Me: “Um, I smoke only tobacco, not drugs of any kind. I can’t promise you that I won’t smoke before your deadline in a week, but I will promise you that I won’t examine your analysis while using alcohol or illegal substances between now and your deadline. Does that work? It’s not like a cig makes me high or anything.”

Coworker: “Nevermind, if you can’t guarantee your sobriety while you examine my analysis, your input is worthless.”

(A couple of months later, after I have successfully quit smoking.)

Coworker: *over email* “I need someone to check my analysis. Can you do it? But I only trust you if you haven’t smoked.”

Me: “I actually quit a few months ago, so you can trust me to look at it.”

Coworker: “That’s good to hear, so go ahead and check it. However, I will not meet with you in person unless you can guarantee that all of your clothes are new since you quit smoking. Third-hand smoke can still kill!”

(I’d like to ask him what he does when he walks by someone smoking in public, but I’m afraid of the answer…)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!