Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Blind To Reason, Part 5

| Learning | June 12, 2016

(There is a blind kid that always rides home on the same bus as I do. His house is in the direction of one of the stops so our driver always stops right in front of his house to make it easier for him. One day we have a substitute driver who drives past his house.)

Me: “Excuse me, driver, you needed to stop to let [Blind Kid] off the bus.”

Driver: “But that’s not a scheduled stop.”

Me: “Yes, but [Usual Driver] always stops in front of his house.”

Blind Kid: “Yeah, every day he stops—”

Driver: “Well, too bad. I’m not gonna stop at just one person’s house. You’re just gonna have to get off at an actual stop. Stop being lazy, and walk home.”

Blind Kid: “Please, I really prefer you stop.”

Everyone Else On The Bus: “Yeah, please stop!”

Driver: “FINE. Which house do you live in?”

Blind Kid: “I live at [Address].”

Driver: “We already passed that. I’m not gonna turn around just for you.”

(Note: the street we’re on ends at a cul-de-sac so the driver would’ve had to turn around anyway.)

Blind Kid: “Just turn around and go back to [Address].”

Driver: *clearly furious* “ALL RIGHT, FINE!” *turns around and stops at [Blind Kid]’s house* “Here you go!”

Blind Kid: *angrily* “Thanks!” *gets off*

Driver: “I swear you kids are so lazy these days. Why couldn’t he just get off at a normal stop and walk home?!”

Me: “Because he wouldn’t know where to go. He’s blind and can’t see where he’s going. The whole reason [Usual Driver] stops in front of his house is because he wouldn’t know where to go otherwise. We all tried to be polite about it but you wouldn’t turn the bus around at a street where you would’ve had to turn around anyway.”

(Turned out one of the other students told the principal what happened and the driver got fired for not caring for a passenger’s disability. Blind Kid, wherever you are, I hope you are doing well.)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!