Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Blind To Change

| Right | May 24, 2013

(Part of my job as a hostess is to stand out front and try to convince tourists to eat at our restaurant. Most nights a server or two will hang out there with me. Across the street we have metered parking, but that’s free after 6pm. A server and I are watching a man put change in the meter at 8pm.)

Server: “Sir! You don’t need to feed that; it’s free after six.”

Patron: “You don’t know that.”

Server: “Well, yes sir, I do. You don’t need to bother with that anymore.”

Patron: “No! I have to go to dinner, so I’m sure to be gone for the next hour and a half! I don’t want a ticket!”

(The server gives up.)

Server: “Understandable. Have a good meal, sir.”

(About two hours later, rotation has me standing back outside. This time I’m alone. The same man returns to his car.)

Patron: “I just found out there was no need for me to pay this meter after six. That would have been nice to know two hours ago!”

Me: “Sir, I was outside when my coworker told you there was no need to feed the meter.”

Patron: “That’s just not true. I wouldn’t have paid if someone told me not to. You should really inform people of that.”

Me: “I’m very sorry, sir. Have a good night.”

Patron: “Would’ve been better if I hadn’t stuffed all my change into this stupid meter!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!