Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Married To The Idiotic Idea

| Working | June 23, 2014

(My boss is always flashing her huge wedding ring. I am single.)

Me: “[Boss], can I ask you something?”

Boss: “Why sure, hon.”

Me: “Can you tell me, why did you promote [Coworker] when I’ve been here longer?”

Boss: “Well, she showed more responsible behavior. That’s obvious, since she’s married and you’re not, so—”

Me: “So, you promoted her because she’s married and I’m not?”

Boss: “Well, yes. I guess it could be put that way. What’s the problem with that?”

Me: “That’s discrimination, you know?”

Boss: “I don’t see how. Married people show a much more mature mind than unmarried. It shows that they have already entered the next stage in their life.”

(Before I could think of what to say, the owner pops his head in.)

Owner: “[Boss], can I speak to you for a second?”

(She excuses herself and they go into the owner’s office across the hall. The door is left open a crack and I can hear what they say.)

Owner: “I’ve heard everything that you’ve just said to [My Name]. Are you stupid?”

Boss: “What? But, I was only telling her the truth!”

Owner: “Shh. You can’t go around saying stuff like that to the employees. Otherwise, they’ll get you, and us, in trouble. Just make up another reason. I don’t care!”

(The door opens and they find me standing there.)

Owner: “[My Name], [Boss] has something to say. Don’t you, [Boss]?”

Boss: “Yes… forget all what I said earlier. You weren’t promoted because, um…you weren’t responsible enough. Which has nothing to do with you being not married.”

Me: “Riiight.”

(I left the company soon after that, and the last I heard from her, she was fired because of conflicting spouse/family issues. Irony?)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!