Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bigotry Is His Game

| Working | May 31, 2014

(I go to a video game store with my brother to pick up a guidebook for a new game. We look about the same age, and are often mistaken as a couple. I go to the cash register to ask about the book, while my brother looks in a different section.)

Me: “Hey, do you have the [Game] guidebook in stock?”

Cashier: “Yeah. Does your boyfriend want one?”

Me: “Uh, no, I do. That’s my brother.”

Cashier: “You’re still buying it for your boyfriend probably. They’re [price].”

(I know how much the book costs, which is lower than the price the cashier gave me.)

Me: “That’s not the price. It should be around [correct amount].”

Cashier: “Sorry, girly. That’s the price. Take it or leave it.”

(I go back over to my brother, and ask him to get it for me. I can hear them from where I’m standing.)

Brother: “Yeah, one [Game] guidebook.”

Cashier: “All right, it’s gonna be [correct price]. I knew she was just gonna get it for her boyfriend.”

(At this point, I’m fuming. I storm over to the cash register.)

Me: “Look, boy. I’ve been playing [Game] longer than HE has. He is NOT my boyfriend. He is my brother. I’m a f***** lesbian, and my girlfriend already has one. I want your manager out here NOW.”

Cashier: “I AM the manager.”

Me: “I want your boss’s number.”

(He reluctantly gave me the district manager’s number. I called and explained to him what happened. The next time I went in, there was a new store manager.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!