Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Big Dreams, Small Pocketbook

, , , , , , | Right | December 29, 2023

I am doing some design work for a company that manufactures apparel for schools and sports programs, mostly recreating low-resolution logos into more usable vector files. After several months of paying regularly, they develop a large back debt, and I tell them I can’t do any more until they catch up.

About four months later, they contact me. I’m surprised to hear from them.

Client: “Hi! I believe we owe you money. [Amount], correct?”

Me: “Actually, it’s [larger amount], but yes. Great to hear from you.”

Client: “Great! Well, how about we give you 3% ownership of our new company we’re just starting? We’ll need a lot of work done.”

The client outlines what the work would be, from branding to a complete online store, and they mention a fee they would pay for my work.

Client: “We’ve got a lot of capital set aside to get everything going and get this off the ground. We’re very excited about where this can go. How’s that sound?”

Me: “Why don’t we get caught up on what you owe me now before we go any further?”

Client: “Oh, we don’t have the money to pay you right now, but think of the potential!”

I declined their offer. I’m still waiting for payment.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!