Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Beware Of Customers Bearing Gifts

| Right | January 23, 2014

(I am working as a cashier during the holiday rush. One of my jobs is to ask each customer if they would like a gift card or gift receipts with their purchase. I have just finished ringing up a woman and have moved on to her boyfriend, who only has one item: pants, clearly for himself.)

Me: “How’s it going today, sir?”

Customer: “Good. You?”

Me: “Good thanks. Would you like any gift cards or gift re—”

Customer: “No, man. I’m good. Just ring me up.”

(I nod and continue the transaction. I tell him the total. He slides his card and I press the button that prints the receipt, also clearing the transaction from on screen.)

Me: “Here’s your receipt.”

Customer: “Can I get a gift receipt?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. It’s already too late.”

Customer: “What?!”

Me: “Well, sir, since you already confirmed the transaction and it has gone through the system, you would have to return the item and re-buy it to allow me to get to the gift receipt option.”

Customer: “Are you kidding me? What happens if the pants don’t fit and I need to return them?”

Me: “We do offer a 30-day return policy. All you need is the original receipt, which I just gave you.”

Customer: “This is bulls***! What happens if it takes me longer than thirty days to decide if they fit?”

(Before the customer gets anymore worked up, his girlfriend jumps in.)

Girlfriend: “Don’t worry about it, honey. He asked you at the beginning of the transaction if you wanted a gift receipt. You said no. Now you have to deal with it. Now let’s go before you gotta walk out of this store single.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!