Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Best To Keep That Under Wraps

| Working | November 14, 2012

Manager: “What are you doing wearing that band-aid on your finger?”

Me: “I had an accident when cooking at home last night. I had the burner turned up too high and got a big splash of hot oil. It wasn’t pretty.”

Manager: “Well, it’s unsanitary! You can’t work the sandwich station with that thing on! What if it came off in someone’s food?”

Me: “I understand. Maybe you could switch me with [coworker] and keep me on the cash registers until it’s healed?”

Manager: “No, I want YOU to do it. Take that thing off and get to work! The customers will get nervous if they see you wearing it.”

Me: “Um, sir, don’t you think it would be even more unsanitary to prepare food with an open wound? Trust me, it’s a pretty gruesome burn.”

Manager: “Take it off NOW or I’m writing you up.”

(Reluctantly and with great pain, I peel my bandage off. Most of the skin on my fingertip slides off with it, exposing the burned layers underneath. Blood starts to well up profusely all around the nail.)

Manager: *recoils in horror and BOLTS back into the kitchen*

(I found my manager hiding in the office when I went back to get into the first aid kit for some disinfectant and a new bandage. To top it off, I got written up for the whole incident!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!