Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bench This Beach Bum!

, , , , | Working | November 23, 2020

During the summer, I regularly visit the shore. I buy my seasonal beach tag at the town hall and walk to the boardwalk. As I approach the stairs down to the beach, I am immediately stopped by the guard there.

Guard #1: “Sir, you can’t enter the beach without a valid beach tag. You do not have a valid beach tag.”

Me: “Yes, I do have one.”

Guard #1: “You can’t come in without a beach tag. You do not have a valid beach tag.”

Me: “It’s on my shirt. I just bought it fifteen minutes ago.”

I point to the clearly-visible tag.

Guard #1: “You can’t come in without a beach tag. You do not have a valid beach tag.”

Me: *Pulling the tag off* “Then please tell me what this is.”

I hold the tag practically in his face. The guard studies the tag for a moment.

Guard #1: “You can’t come in without a beach tag. You do not have a valid beach tag.”

I give up at that point and go to a different entrance further up the boardwalk.

Guard #2: “May I see your beach tag, sir?”

I show her the tag.

Me: “Is this a valid beach tag?”

She studies the tag and then hands it back to me.

Guard #2: *Confused* “Yes, of course. This is perfectly valid. Why would you think it isn’t?”

Me: “The other guard told me it wasn’t.”

Guard #2: “No, you’re fine! Like I said, this is perfectly valid!” *Pause* “Wait, by any chance, that wasn’t the guard at [First Entrance Location] was it?”

Me: “Yes, it was.”

Guard #2: “You know, you’re not the first person he’s done that to. I’m his supervisor, so I’ll talk to him when I get a chance. Here, I’ll also give you the customer care team’s number if you’d like to file a complaint.”

I called the number on my cell and explained everything to the rep on the other side, who assured me that he would be dealt with. When I left four hours later, a different guard was stationed at the entrance where the supervisor was. As I walked past the entrance where the first guard was, I saw him, his supervisor, and what looked like their boss in a heated discussion, which ended with the first guard storming off. I assume that he was fired, because it’s been three years and I haven’t seen him once in several trips to the shore since then.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!