Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Being A Jerk Is Totally The Way To Make Tips

, , , , , , | Working | August 7, 2022

This happened years ago when I was about fifteen years old. My parents went out for dinner by themselves, and my brother and I decided to get pizza for us. I placed a delivery order and got some money out.

The delivery person came. She gave me the pizza, and I gave her the money.

Delivery Driver: “Would you like your change?”

Me: “Yes, please.”

The delivery driver scoffed and huffed back to her car. I knew I was supposed to get nearly $10 in change back, but I was planning on using some of the change for her tip. The delivery driver came back and handed me my change, minus the coins, which added up to almost $1. Mental math is not my strong suit, so I just stood there for a moment while I tried to calculate her tip minus the $1 in coins she already had. I guess I was too slow for her.

Delivery Driver: “If you’re not going to tip me, then next time, don’t be lazy and get carry-out.”

I was shocked at her attitude, but I’ve never been good at confrontations, so I just put all the money into my pocket and closed the door. She was lucky fifteen-year-old me didn’t realize I could call the store and complain to her manager. I realize a lot of people will just say “keep the change,” but a $10 tip is a lot for one pizza.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!