Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Being A Good Person Is Doctor’s Orders

| Right | September 5, 2014

(One of our national TV broadcasters has a chain of stores that sell DVDs and other merchandise for the shows on their channel. I am waiting in the store in line behind an older customer.)

Customer: “… but I don’t understand why your shop is full of this Doctor Who rubbish! It’s a waste of space! You should be selling products for good, wholesome educational shows, not this science-fiction crap! It doesn’t teach kids anything! I bet that stuff doesn’t even sell!”

Manager: “With all due respect, ma’am, Doctor Who is one of our network’s highest-rating and most popular dramas, and while it is primarily aimed at an older audience it meets the Australian Board of Classification’s definition of a family show. Furthermore, you don’t have to watch it or purchase the merchandise if you don’t agree with it.”

Customer: “It’s not the most popular show! Nobody even watches it! I bet the girl behind me has never even heard of it!”

(She turns to look at me and realises I’m wearing a TARDIS T-shirt holding several pieces of ‘Doctor Who’ merchandise. Behind me in line is a mother with her five- and eight-year-old sons, buying a ‘Doctor Who’ backpack for the older one. The customer realises her argument isn’t going to work and decides to start attacking the mother.)

Customer: “You shouldn’t let him watch that science-fiction crap! It doesn’t teach them anything!”

(Normally I would keep my mouth shut in this situation and let the manager handle it, but I was getting so fed up that I decided to speak up.)

Me: “Excuse me, but Doctor Who is an extremely deep and educational show with a large cult following, that teaches lessons that go far beyond the schoolyard.” *I begin to recite a speech given by a character on the show* “The Doctor taught me that you don’t just give up. You don’t just let things happen. You make a stand. You say no. You have the guts to do what’s right when everyone else just runs away.”

(Taken aback, the customer shut her mouth, quickly pays for her things, and leaves.)

Five-Year-Old Behind Me: “Mummy, I change my mind! I want to be like her when I grow up!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!