Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Being A Complete Assperger

| Working | November 21, 2016

(I was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome/Autistic Spectrum Disorder in high school, and while I’m pretty accepting of the condition, I’m also pretty choosy about who I tell about having it. I finally feel trusting enough of a particular coworker that I tell her about my ASD. A few days after a particularly frustrating day at work, she approaches me.)

Coworker: “Hey, remember that lady who was giving you such a hard time?”

(Said lady was a patron who chewed me out for trying to enforce the “you need to pay your library fines before using a computer” rule. I tried to handle the situation as gracefully as I could before going into the back room to cry, as I don’t handle confrontation well.)

Me: “Yeah, I remember her. Is she back?”

Coworker: “I just wanted to tell you that I got her to back off by telling her you had Asperger’s.”

Me: “Why…?”

Coworker: “I didn’t know what else to do to get her to calm down. I thought it might help her understand why you acted the way you did.”

Me: “Excuse me? I did nothing wrong. I was trying to enforce the library rules and she got angry. Why did my behavior need explaining?”

Coworker: “Well, it worked; she calmed down. But I just thought you should know I told her.”

Me: “…”

(Long story short, I told my boss and she had words with said coworker. She didn’t last much longer after that. Needless to say I’m much more careful about who I tell about my autism.)


This story is part of our Autism roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!