Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Because Women Can’t Read Cards?

, , , , , , | Right | November 11, 2021

I work in a call center for a large chain grocery company. When a customer calls in, we need to verify two pieces of information minimum to access an account, unless it’s a new club card, where we just need the card number. From the start, I get a feeling with this customer.

Customer: “I got a new club card and I wanna get the information updated.”

Me: “I can help out with that, not a problem. What’s the number?”

I get the number and see it’s already filled out.

Me: “What’s the name on the card?”

The customer gives me a name that isn’t on the card.

Me: “Any other names?”

Customer: “Nope, no others. Just me.”

Me: “What’s the phone number?”

Customer: “It’s probably a really old phone number. Haven’t used it in years. It’s [number that isn’t on the card].”

Me: “I’m sorry, this club card already has information filled out and it doesn’t match any of the information you provided me.”

Customer: *Suddenly very frustrated* “Get me a supervisor. I’m not gonna have no female playing me like this and telling me that this ain’t my card and giving me this runaround.”

Me: “A supervisor will say the same thing.”

Customer: “I don’t care. Get me a supervisor. I want to speak to a man. Ain’t no woman messing with me this way!”

Me: *Gritting my teeth* “Please hold.”

I don’t give him a chance to respond and dial the line to get a supervisor. This is my first ever openly sexist call and I’m shaking with anger. Somehow, I keep my voice somewhat pleasant when a supervisor picks up. Unfortunately, it’s a guy; fortunately, he’s at least on my team.

Supervisor: “This is [Supervisor].”

I give the supervisor a brief rundown of what happened, including the comment saying that the customer said that he specifically didn’t want a woman helping him.

Supervisor: “And did he say how he got this card?”

Me: “He did not provide it. He just said he needed the information updated.”

Supervisor: “Hmm. All right, send him over.”

I transferred the call. I have no idea how it ended up, but I took a restroom break because I still was annoyed. Reflecting back, I guess that the card was stolen or found somewhere.

Still, what was that guy’s problem?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!