Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Be Careful When You Call In To Collect

, , , | Right | October 15, 2020

It’s policy at my job that if you want more of an ingredient added to your food, you pay extra for it. All food is made at the counter where the register is also located.

Customer: “I’ll have that crostini. But can you make sure it has extra artichoke? I like a lot of artichoke. Make sure you tell the chef I like it with extra artichoke; he knows me.”

Me: “All right, that will be $7.50.”

The customer pays.

Customer: *To the chef* “And can you add extra goat cheese to it? Thanks!”

I let the cheese thing slide as she’s been in the restaurant before. The customer gets her food and leaves. Later, I get a phone call from her.

Customer: “I was overcharged for my food. Is there a way I can get a refund?”

Me: “Well, ma’am, it’s policy that additions to an order are charged.”

Customer: “Oh, well, all right.”

She hangs up and then calls back again a few minutes later.

Customer: “I’m a regular! I always get my food this way. I was never asked to pay extra before, and you didn’t tell me it would be extra! I want a credit for another order.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but it’s policy—”

Customer: “I want to speak to a manager!”

I grab my manager and quickly explain what has transpired so far. He remembers her, as he was present when she asked for all her “extras.” He picks up the phone.

Customer: “I was overcharged. I get the same order every time and I need a refund!”

Manager: “Well, yes, ma’am, I was there when you ordered your food today. We have a policy stating we always charge for extras, and you were also given extra cheese, free of charge, because we do recognize that you’re a regular.”

Customer: “But I was never told about this!”

Manager: “Furthermore, if you’ve been receiving extra food for free in the past, technically, you owe us money.”

Customer: “I… Well, then, never mind.”

I have, to this date, never seen or heard from her again.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!