Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bad Management Can Be Taxing

, , , , , , | Working | April 8, 2022

I used to work doing customer service for one of the biggest UK banks. Despite presenting themselves as an equal-opportunity bank where there were promotion opportunities aplenty, favouritism was rampant. Even though I had been there for over three years, I was still stuck on the phones in one of the lowest positions. I kept seeing people with way less experience getting new jobs or promotions because they were friends or drinking buddies with the right people.

My manager was particularly bad. Any time I would have a secondment or a new opportunity, she would inevitably get it cancelled or find a way to get me back on the phones because we needed “all hands on deck.” I kept getting a spiel about how vital I was to the team and what a great employee I was. In other words, she wanted me to be her lackey with no pay raise.

At this point, I was seriously thinking of leaving. One day, I noticed my pay was massively lower than usual with a HUGE amount of tax taken out, so I immediately called our payroll department.

Advisor: “Hello, payroll, [Advisor] speaking. How may I help?”

Me: “Oh, hi. I think there’s been an error with my paycheque this month. Can you take a look, please?”

Advisor: “Can I take your employee ID, please?”

Me: “It’s [employee number].”

Advisor: “Oh, yes.” *Laughs* “I remember this one. We put you on the wrong tax code and we had to change it, so now you are taxed more each paycheque.”

Me: “Sorry… What? That’s not possible. I gave you all the correct information when I started!”

Advisor: “Well, we accidentally put you on a code where you earn very little tax, but now we’ve changed it back. Just to advise, as well… you might have a little tax bill coming, too!”

Me: “WHAT?! HOW THE H*** DID THIS HAPPEN? THIS WAS YOUR MISTAKE! WHY I AM BEING PUNISHED FOR THIS?!”

Advisor: “Look, I’m sorry, but you paid too little tax. You should have paid attention to your pay each month. I’m sorry, but this one isn’t our fault! You’ll need to speak to the Inland Revenue!”

Me: “You just told me you ‘accidentally’ put me on the wrong code! So, doesn’t that mean this is your department’s fault?”

There was a long silence and the guy seemed to realize he’d put his foot in it! 

Advisor: “There’s nothing more we can do here. Call the tax people. Goodbye!”

He hurriedly put the phone down and ended the call. I called the tax people to find out that I owed over 700 POUNDS! I had just moved into a new apartment and needed the money, so this was immensely stressful and meant that I would have almost zero money to spend for months! Naturally, I was furious, but when I spoke to my manager and asked how to file a complaint about this, she just brushed it off and said, “Tough luck,” and that I “should’ve paid more attention.”

This was the last straw. I stepped up my job search and thankfully was able to find a new position soon after. My manager was very disappointed that I was leaving because she realized that she had lost her servant and now she’d have to actually do her own work. In my exit interview, I was quick to point out the issue I had and that there might be other employees that payroll had done the same thing to. The Human Resources person didn’t look amused to hear this and said they would keep an eye out. 

Thankfully, now, I have found a better career where I am appreciated. However, I did have tax issues for several months afterward which took numerous phone calls to solve!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!