Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bad Debts Get Bad Language

, , , , | Right | November 24, 2018

(I am a debt collector, so I have had several interesting phone calls, but this one is a favorite. To speak to someone who isn’t the account holder, we must have verbal authorization from the account holder to speak with them, for obvious security reasons.)

Me: “Good afternoon. Thank you for calling [Company]. My name is [My Name], speaking on a recorded line. Who do I have the pleasure of assisting today?”

Customer: “Well, my name is [First Name], but I’m calling because you called for my dad and I’d like to know why.”

Me: “Okay, no problem. Do you have a reference number, or his full name, so I can pull up his file?”

Customer: “No, I want to know why you called my elderly father!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but I do have thousands of customers, so I’m not sure why we called your father. It could possibly be a wrong number.”

Customer: “Well, we got a letter saying he owes [Client]. He has no affiliation with them! We called them, and they said he owes nothing!”

(Once a debt is in my office, this particular client forwards all those calls to our office.)

Me: “Well, ma’am, as I stated previously, it’s possible it’s a wrong number or a fraud. What’s the number we called, so I can find the file?”

Customer: “I’m not giving you anything! You should be ashamed of yourself, calling old people for an imaginary debt!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m here to help; I’m just trying to do my job.”

Customer: “I’m sorry that you have that job. You should try finding a new one, unless you’re just a crooked, evil person who likes harassing old people!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m not sorry I have this job. I like working here. I’m here to help, but if we’re unable to keep this on a professional level, I am going to have to disconnect the phone call.”

Customer: “Well, before you disconnect, you can go f*** yourself!” *click*

(I immediately brought that call to my supervisor to listen to and get a good laugh out of. To this day I have no idea why she thinks elderly people are incapable of accruing debt, and why they should be exempt from being held responsible for it!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!