Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Babying The Students

| Learning | May 28, 2015

(I’m the mother of two girls attending middle school, which is the closest thing to an ‘inner city’ school as we have here. It is in the middle of a low income neighborhood, but only one mile from a very affluent neighborhood so there is a widely variant demographic that attends. This occurs at a mass parent-teacher conference for the parents of eighth graders in preparation for the “Baby Think It Over” program where the children take home a mechanical baby simulator overnight to encourage them to not get pregnant.)

Principal: “Because we get this question every year: No, you may not opt your child out of this program. It is absolutely required to graduate from the eighth grade.”

(Several parents’ hands shoot up into the air.)

Principal: “I will try to answer your questions as best I can, but I cannot bend that rule.” *calls on a woman down front*

Woman: “Yes, I was hoping you could make a special case exception for my dau—”

Principal: “NO! We do not make exceptions!”

Woman: “I really think you need to hear me out. Since you clearly don’t recognize me, I’m [Daughter]’s mother.”

(Collective gasp.)

Woman: “I don’t think [Daughter] should be forced to participate in this program since she has already had a child, last year, at thirteen.”

(They made the girl do it anyway; ‘just in case,’ claimed the principal.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!