Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Attitude Fail Results In No Sale

, , , , | Right | May 25, 2018

(I work at a grocery store, and we have a seasonal garden centre set up during May and June. The only people trained on cash registers are cashiers, so since the area is run by the produce department, they need our help. This is my favourite area to work in, so I work about 23 out of 28 hours a week out there, and am pretty well-versed in prices and packaging. I have just finished ringing up a customer with a large amount of flowers; she is busy putting them back on her flatbed cart while I deal with the next customer, an older man. He has two bags of what appear to be the same thing on his cart, but we do have two products in exactly the same yellow packaging, just with a different name printed on the front.)

Customer: “Just this please.”

Me: “Okay! Are they both soil?”

Customer: *in an indignant tone* “Yes. That’s what it says in big black letters.”

Me: *in a cheerful tone* “Oh, yes, I can see the top bag. I just wanted to make sure the other one is the same, because the peat moss is in the exact same bag.”

Customer: *very rudely* “Yes. It is the same.”

Me: *still cheerful* “Okay, just checking! I don’t want to charge you for the wrong thing by accident!”

(I scan the top bag of soil twice.)

Me: *still friendly* “Okay, sir, your total is [amount].”

Customer: “You know what? Your attitude is atrocious. I’m not buying this at all.”

(He then storms away, leaving his cart behind. This is the type of joke that elderly people tend to think is funny to pull on me, so I wait for him to turn around laughing… He doesn’t. The previous girl is still loading her cart, and she looks at me with a shocked expression, which I return.)

Me: “I honestly didn’t think I had an attitude at all… Did I? I didn’t mean to.”

Girl: “Not in the slightest. I don’t know what his problem was.”

Me: “Some people…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!