Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Attempting To Sabotage Some Christmas Miracles

, , , , , | Right | December 23, 2020

I’m waiting on a couple and, as I give them their check, they also ask for the bill of a single army veteran I’ve also been waiting on. I happily give them the check and wait for them to leave before telling the man his bill was paid by a couple that wanted to thank him for his service.

Veteran: “Well, I really appreciate that. Honestly, I don’t need help with money, but here. Take this and if another veteran or just someone who seems to need the extra help comes in use it to pay for their bill and tell them ‘Merry Christmas.’”

He gives me $15, about the cost of his meal.

Me: “I would be happy to, sir, and thank you very much.”

All of this occurs as another table I have of two ladies that just ordered kids’ meals are getting up to leave. They are at the table right next to the veteran; they head out to the store area, I’m assuming to pay their bill and leave. I quickly clear the table and pick up the $4 left on it. About two minutes later, they return and stop me as I come out of the kitchen.

Lady #1: “How much money did we leave on the table?

Me: “There were $4 dollars left there.”

Lady #2: “Are you sure? Because she is missing a $5 bill?”

Me: “I’m sorry, I did not see it. There were only four ones on the table, but feel free to look around that area in case it fell on the floor.”

Lady #1: “Oh, no! What am I going to do?! I’m just not sure how I’m going to pay this check without it.”

As she is saying this, she keeps glancing at my server book where I have the money the veteran gave me separated from my own.

Me: “I’m sorry. I did not see it, again, but feel free to look around.”

I walked away thinking, “Your bill was only $5; it should not be that hard to come up with.” Later, I realized that the first lady had walked out without paying her bill after hearing the guy give me money to pay for someone’s meal. She decided to try and get the money from me, and after I ignored her fishing attempt, she just left figuring that I would have to do so anyway. Fortunately, my manager just wrote off the check and, by using my employee discount, the money the veteran gave me was enough to buy two meals for the many veterans that frequent my restaurant.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!