Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

At Least It Smelled Nice?

, , , , , | Right | CREDIT: biquid | July 13, 2022

I’ve worked in retail for a little over five years now. I work at a local gift shop, and it’s pretty small, so we don’t get too many rude people, but I still have some interesting stories since I also live in a small town.

A customer walks in holding a large jug of laundry detergent, and since we’re just a gift shop, I know he’s not trying to make a return or anything, so I wonder what he’s carrying it around for. He shops around for a bit and grabs a few items to bring up to the register. I scan everything while he starts to chat with a coworker of mine.

The total ends up being $20 even, and he then hands me the jug of detergent. Of course, I’m confused, wondering if he is trying to barter with me or something. He must notice the confused look on my face because he elaborates before I can ask.

Customer: “The money is in there, my dear.”

Even more confused, I take the jug from him and it’s HEAVY. I open it and it is completely full of quarters.

Me: “Uhh, is this all you have?”

He simply nodded and continued to talk to my coworker, so I had to stand there and count out $20 worth of quarters. I was thankful that there were no other customers because it took a good few minutes, mainly because I had to dump quarters out onto the counter since the jug was one of those ones with a small pour spout on the top.

Once I was finally done counting, he thanked me and went on his merry way, taking his quarter jug with him. He was definitely nice and stuff, and honestly, it wasn’t even a big deal, especially since small change is always more than welcome. I’m just thankful I didn’t have to count out $20 in pennies.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!