Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

At Last They See The Light

| Right | February 27, 2016

(I am on register in the last 10 minutes before my shift ends, so I turn the light off on my line, letting them know I am closing. Two customers, #1 and #2, are my last. I am helping Customer #1 understand the pin-pad, and when I pull back I see a third customer with a very filled cart, loading the belt with her things.)

Me: “Excuse me, ma’am, I’m closed.”

Customer #3: “What?”

Me: *I point to my lane number, which is off* “I’m closing. I’m sorry but I have to close.”

Customer #3: “You didn’t say anything before. I already started unloading.”

Me: “That’s because I was helping this customer with the pin-pad, ma’am.”

Customer #3: “Well, I didn’t see anything saying you were closed. There was no sign!”

Me: “Usually, there are signs we put on the belt, but they are too few and most are broken. Most customers know that when the light is off, the lane isn’t taking anyone.”

Customer #3: “Well, who looks at the light?”

Me, Customers #1 and #2: “EVERYBODY!”

(We didn’t shout this but with all three of us at the same time, it came off as very clear. Customer #3 blushed and left my line.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!