Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

At Lagerheads, Part 3

| Right | June 10, 2013

(I work the night shift at an upscale long-term stay hotel. I am delivering all the bills underneath the doors when I encounter a guest holding two beers and a water from my market in the lobby. State law prohibits me from selling alcohol of any kind after midnight.)

Guest: “Hi. Do you work here?”

Me: “Yes, I do, sir. How may I help you?”

Guest: “I just wanted to let you know, I got these from the market. I left a note to charge them to my room, 235.”

Me: “I’m very sorry, sir, but I cannot charge those beers. I actually have to take them back, as I’m not allowed to sell alcohol after midnight.”

Guest: “It’s not that long after midnight.”

Me: “Sir, it’s almost two in the morning. It’s actually state law, not company policy, so my hands are really tied. Again, I’m sorry.”

Guest: “Just charge them in the morning.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but I really can’t do that. It’s because we sell the beer retail; we don’t serve it.”

Guest: “This is ridiculous. I’m taking the beers. You can do it just this once. I won’t tell anyone.”

Me: “Sir, I’m sorry. I have you on camera taking the beer. It would show up on my shift audit, which my manager reviews daily. If I let you take that I will lose my job.”

Guest: “That’s not my problem; you should have been there when I was taking them out of the cooler.”

Me: “Sir, if you don’t give me those beers, I’ll be forced to return to my desk and call the police.”

Guest: “What?! Why?!”

Me: “You didn’t pay for those beers, and you’re being very belligerent about breaking state law. I know your room number, which means I know your name and have a copy of your ID on file. I suggest you reconsider how thirsty you really are.”

(He gave me the beers.)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!