Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

As Long As Everyone Walks Away Smiling

, , , | Related | September 2, 2020

I’m home visiting my family when my mum tells me she wants a Fitbit, so we walk to the small-town electronics store. We ask the man behind the counter to help us pick out the best Fitbit for my Mum’s needs. He and I start batting stats and needs back and forth, the conversation slipping quickly to an almost shorthand, friendly conversation. At one point he laments that he only has the Apple Watch two generations from the current one himself and I squeal, “Me, too!” and then we immediately share a quick, exuberant high-five.

A Fitbit choice is made and we pay, 15% off the listed price. As we leave, Mum asks:

Mum: “How do you know that guy?”

Me: “I don’t.”

Mum: “Did you go to school with him or something?”

Me: “No, Mum, I don’t know that guy.”

Mum: “But you guys are friends.”

Me: “Nope. It just seemed that way.”

Mum: “But I don’t understand. You were best friends back there.”

Me: “Nah, I just like getting discounts on bigger ticket items.”

Mum: “What?”

Me: “Yeah. Why not? Make someone’s day and get some money off a purchase? Win-win!”

Mum: “That’s stealing.”

Me: “What? No, it isn’t. He offered the discount; I didn’t ask for it.”

Mum: “You knew he’d discount the sale.”

Me: *Shrugging* “Well, I figured.”

Mum: “That big city has made you dishonest.”

I don’t know; I enjoyed the conversation and the man behind the counter saw us off with a huge smile on his face. I do use this tactic often, but I saw no harm in it until this conversation.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!