Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

April Foolish

| Related | July 13, 2014

(I am a 16-year-old junior in high school. I moved in with my dad and step-mother about three months before, and as I suffer from social anxiety have not made any friends in my new school. As such, I tend to spend more time with my step-mother, since she is the only one I have to talk to and bounce ideas off of. Also note that she is EXTREMELY superstitious.)

Me: *helping her fold laundry* “I’d like to do something funny to Dad and [Little Brother] for April Fools’ Day. I just don’t know what I could do that wouldn’t make a huge mess or anything.”

Step-Mother: “Well, you should be careful what you joke about. One year for April Fools’ Day, I told everyone I had [serious medical condition] and a couple months later I was diagnosed with it. Now I’ll never have my own babies. So, just keep that in mind. Be very careful. You don’t want to ruin your future like I did.”

Me: “Uh, sure. I’ll be careful.”

(I say this only to appease her, since I’m not the least bit superstitious.)

Me: “So, I guess I could always do something to their computers if you could—”

Step-Mother: “OH! Oh, you should tell everyone you’re pregnant! With TWINS!”

Me: *gawking* “Uh, weren’t you just telling me I should be careful what I joke about—”

Step-Mother: “You can even bring that nice boy you were talking about home and say he’s the father!

Me: “Uh… no. No, I think I’ll just… switch the sugar with salt or something.” *hurriedly changes the subject*


This story is part of the April Fool’s Day roundup!

Read the next April Fool’s Day roundup story!

Read the April Fool’s Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!