Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Apparently, We’re Hiring Toddlers Now

, , , , , | Working | January 24, 2022

It’s close to Christmas. I’m back in the office and a delivery is waiting at my desk, which is odd as I never get anything sent to me.

I open it and it’s a card and box of chocolates. The card reads, “Thank you for all your help this year. You mentioned that your young family loves chocolate. I hope they enjoy these. [Customer].”

It’s been a tough year, and to be fair, a lot of hard work and issues with [Customer], so this is a really nice touch. I also appear to be the only person with a package.

Coworker #1: “Ooh, who are they from?”

Me: “[Customer]. It’s so sweet! I think I must have mentioned my kids love these chocolate months ago.”

Coworker #1: “What brand are they? I’ve not seen them before?”

Me: “It’s German chocolate. I don’t think they have them in the UK. I brought some back when I visited [Customer] last; they didn’t last the day.”

Coworker #1: “Well, open them up, then! Everyone wants to try them.”

No one else apart from [Coworker #1] seems to care; she hasn’t taken her eyes off them since she heard the word “chocolate”.

Me: “As I said, they are for my kids.”

Coworker #1: “Oh, they won’t know if you don’t tell them.”

Me: “That’s… that’s not the point.”

Coworker #1: *Getting loud* “Oh, don’t be stupid. Open them up!”

Coworker #2: “What’s up?”

Coworker #1: “[My Name] won’t share his chocolates!”

Coworker #2: “So? That’s his choice.”

Coworker #1: “But, but… It was a work gift; he should be made to share them.”

Me: “It was a personal gift from a customer.”

Coworker #2: “I don’t see the problem here.”

Coworker #1: *Even louder* “But it’s not right!”

Manager: “Is there a problem?”

Coworker #1: “[My Name] got a work gift and is refusing to share them.”

Manager: “All work gifts go into the raffle. It’s only fair.”

Coworker #2: “I don’t think this was a work gift.”

Coworker #1: “It was received at work, so it’s a work gift.”

Me: “Here’s the card.”

Manager: “Oh, okay. No, this seems fine.” 

Coworker #1: *Almost screaming* “No! I want chocolate!”

Manager: “[Coworker #1], control yourself. This was clearly a personal gift.”

Coworker #1: “I will not ‘control myself’! You are all breaking the rules. And I won’t have it!”

Manager: “Why don’t we have a little chat in my office?”

[Coworker #1] keeps shouting; the whole office is now watching her.

Coworker #1: “No, I won’t!”

Manager: “I am going to have to insist.”

She sat in her chair, arms folded like a child throwing a tantrum. The manager disappeared to be replaced by one of the human resources team quietly asking her to step into the office.

[Coworker #1] did so. An hour later, she came back, muttered an apology, and refused to speak to anyone for the rest of the day!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!