Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

And The Children Shall Lead, Part 2

| Right | December 9, 2013

(I am a 33-year-old woman managing a local fast food restaurant. I love what I do, and take pride in my job and my restaurant. I also happen to be only five feet tall.)

Customer: “Hi. I want to order catering for a party I am having tomorrow.”

Me: “Well, we typically need more notice to do a catering order. How many people are you expecting?”

Customer: “Something like 120.”

Me: “We usually can’t do something that large on such short notice, but let me see—”

Customer: “You know what? Let me talk to the manager so I don’t have to be here all day!”

Me: “Ma’am, I am the manager. I’m not saying we can’t do it for sure. I just want to see if we have the staff scheduled, to see if I can pull this off for you.”

Customer:You are the manager? What are you, like 16? How young can you be to be a manager at [Restaurant]? They really need to start caring about their restaurants and hire some adults to run this place! I mean, it’s just kids around here! How are you supposed to run a business without any adults around?”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m in my 30s, married, and have children old enough to almost work here themselves.”

Customer: “OH! You are SO LYING! How old are you REALLY?”

(I pull out my driver’s license, covering my info with my thumb, all but my birthdate.)

Customer: “Um.. uh… Sorry. You.. uh.. you… you don’t LOOK your age.”

Me: “I’ll take your shock as a compliment. Now, let me look to see if we have the staff to make your party happen.”

(I check. We did. We pulled off her party the next day.)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!