Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Unwarranted Warranty Pitch

| Working | May 29, 2015

(I’m just about 30 though I look younger. I’ve never had to own a car before due to living, until recently, in a city with great public transport. My dad goes with me to help me buy my first vehicle, and all goes very well until the very final step where the dealership tries to ‘hard sell’ various extra warranties and bells and whistles. The employee who handles this is a woman who only looks to be less than ten years older than I am, but she treats me incredibly condescendingly the entire time.)

Employee: “All right! Welcome to adulthood. It all goes downhill from here! Ha ha!” *proceeds to look at my credit reports* “Well! You’re really lucky to have such great credit.”

Me: “What?!”

Dad: “Yeah, luck’s got nothing to do with that. That’s a lot of hard work.”

Employee: “Uh… anyway, these are our warranty packages. We have [super expensive extra warranty], [kind of expensive extra warranty], [expensive extra warranty], and [basic but still extra warranty]. Which one can I put you down for?”

Me: “Er, I just want the basic. The one that comes with it.”

Employee: “All right! That’s this one, and it’ll put your payment up to [amount way over my budget and higher than the established monthly payment I’d already negotiated].”

Dad: “No, I think she means she doesn’t want an extra one at all.”

Me: “Yes, that’s right; I don’t want any extra warranty. I just want the one that comes with the vehicle. I’m not paying for anything extra.”

Employee: *flustered* “Well, you know, that’s not a very good idea. We really can’t do anything for you on that one, and these are so much better. Like this one, [pushes one of the more expensive warranties at me].”

Me: *firmly* “No, I don’t want to add anything to my monthly payment. I’m fine with the basic warranty it comes with.”

Employee: *angrily, to my dad, for some reason* “And what are you going to do when she wrecks it within the first two months!?”

Dad: “Then we’ll pay for it.”

Employee: *gives me death glare* “Well, that must be REALLY NICE. That’s just great. Can I get adopted into your family?”

Me: “With an attitude like that?!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!