Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked

, , , , , , | Right | July 1, 2020

I’m a barista at a well-known coffee chain. There is a city ordinance to have a mask on when coming within six feet of any individual outside of your household, and businesses are allowed to require that people wear masks when entering the store. My shop happens to be the only one in our district allowing people inside the store rather than putting their coffee outside for them to pick up, so the whole mask thing has been a hassle. 

I’ve been screamed at for telling people they can’t come inside, but this interaction takes the cake. 

A regular comes in, who is an a**hole anyway, mind you, and I stop him before he takes more steps into the store.

Me: *Politely* “Sir, you are required to wear a mask if we are going to be serving you.” 

Customer: “What do you mean, I have to wear a mask? How dare you require me to wear a mask?!” 

Me: “Sir, it’s an ordinance from the city, as well as corporate policy. I can’t do anything about it besides follow both.”

Customer: “Well, what if I refuse to wear one?”

Me: “Then I have to refuse you service.” 

Customer: “F*** this, man! It’s all a hoax, anyway. You know that, right? Just a scare tactic for the election.” 

Me: “Sir, if you don’t calm down, I will be forced to ask you to leave.”

He turned around and left the store — out the wrong door — and went to our trash can that was positioned out front. He then reached inside and pulled out a disposable facemask that had clearly been used before and put it on his face before marching back into the store.

He’s come in nearly every day since with that same mask, and it’s taken every ounce of willpower not to gag every time I see him.


This story is part of our Anti-Masker roundup.

Read the next Anti-Masker roundup story!

Read the Anti-Masker roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!