Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 5

, , , , | Right | October 29, 2020

We’ve made masks mandatory for both customers and employees. We’ve also got some disposable masks in little bags for customers to use if they don’t own masks.

A regular comes in without a mask on. We’ve had trouble with her before and she was told that she needs to be more respectful towards us or she’ll be banned, which I think is why my supervisor is a bit stricter with her.

Supervisor: “[Regular], you need to wear a mask if you want to come in.” 

Regular: “I don’t have one.”

Supervisor: “We’ve got some for you, here.”

My supervisor offers her a bag with a mask inside.

Regular: “I can’t breathe through one of those.”

Supervisor: “Well, masks are required now. You’ve either got to find a mask that works for you or we can’t serve you.”

Regular: “This is ridiculous. I can’t breathe through those masks!”

Supervisor: “This is corporate policy. You need to wear a mask or you have to leave.”

The regular leaves, swearing.

This all happens before my shift and is relayed to me later. I come in for my shift and see her outside our door putting a plastic bag over her head. I’m cleaning the lobby at this point so as I clean the door handles, I open the door for her and start talking to her in my chipper customer service voice.

Me: “Hi, [Regular]! You know, we’ve got masks for you if you don’t have any.”

Regular: “I CAN’T BREATHE THROUGH ONE OF THOSE!”

I’m taken aback and before I can stop myself, I blurt out.

Me: “But you can breathe through plastic?”

Regular: “YES!”

Me: “Oh, okay, then!”

My supervisor told her she needed to put on a proper mask or leave. She left. She came back later in the day when a different supervisor was on shift, who served her despite her still not wearing a mask.

The next day, she came back with a proper mask that said, “F U,” in big letters across the front. We’re just happy she was able to find a proper mask that she could breathe through so she doesn’t have to suffocate herself with a plastic bag to get her coffee now.

Related:
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 4
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 3
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 2
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!