Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 25

, , , , , , , | Working | August 6, 2022

My daughter and I had an APPALLING experience at a very popular bagel and coffee chain in the Netherlands, which I normally love when I have the rare chance to treat myself to something.

I can NEVER get myself something amazing like a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, but yesterday morning, my daughter had a very important meeting about her future, requiring intercity travel. We were out of the house so fast I needed to grab SOMETHING, so I was delighted when we spotted the bagel place.

I have health issues, and my daughter has a post-viral fatigue syndrome so we, unlike seemingly just about everyone else in the city, were wearing masks for our own safety and because we understand asymptomatic transmission — and despite the prevailing opinions, there IS still a health crisis on.

The guy at the counter looked a lot like Hawkeye from “The Avengers,” so our good mood got even better because that’s fun, and he seemed really nice.

Employee: “What would you like?”

Me: “I need to look at the menu first.”

Employee: “Okay.”

Then, he put on a teasing, “you silly person” tone.

Employee: “You know, those masks are no longer needed.”

Me: *Politely* “They’re no longer required by law.”

I thought we could leave it at that or that he might, as has happened before, demand that I list my personal health concerns for him, but no. He rolled his eyes and started laughing.

Employee: “Oh, come on!”

I turned to my daughter.

Me: *Quietly* “Yeah, let’s go somewhere else.”

The employee yelled after us as we walked out.

Employee: “Oh, what? REALLY?! SORRY, OKAY? WHAT THE H***?!”

We just kept walking, so he CHASED US INTO THE STREET, screaming.

Employee: “Hey, you! You… FOOLISH WOMEN! I hope you… I hope you TAKE ANOTHER VACCINE!”

I’m really not sure what that was supposed to mean.

My daughter is painfully shy and autistic, and she has some trauma in her past. This frightened her, so she had to go into her important meeting already far too anxious, so she had a distressing day. (The meeting went great, though.) And I, of course, did not get any breakfast.

I’m trying to figure out how in the world the guy thought mocking, screaming at, and CHASING customers would get them to buy a bagel.

Related:
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 24
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 23
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 22
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 21
An Ugly Side Of Society Has Been Unmasked, Part 20

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!